On the BoardsSonoma and Marin Counties
A glimpse of projects currently in design and in construction: A house tucked in to the hills of northern Marin county -- A floating rental station for small water crafts on the Petaluma River -- An addition to a traditional west Petaluma home -- An outdoor tasting bar and event space for a Healdsburg winery -- A pocket neighborhood and adjacent house designed in local agrarian vernacular.
- Petaluma, California This 3,000 square foot 1906 brick commercial building is a successful adaptive-reuse project. Originally an auto dealership, ZAC Landscape Architecture leased the building in 1990 and hired Mary Dooley to help transform the building into offices for their Landscape Architectu[...]
- Glen Ellen, California AIARE Architectural Design Awards, 2006 Citation The palette for this project was chosen based on materials and colors commonly found on old barns around Glen Ellen: corrugated steel, wood slats and board and batten. Turning the corners with the metal or the slats conveyed [...]
- Glen Ellen, California AIARE Architectural Design Awards, 1999 Honor Award Sonoma League for Historic Preservation, 1998 Award of Merit Sonoma County Historical Society, 1998 Award A master plan was prepared for the entire complex. The first phase of design and construction was the Crush[...]
- Petaluma, California AIARE Architectural Design Awards, 2006 Citation The goal of this riverfront plan was to build on the strengths, heritage, and existing elements of the original working docks - to create a visually rich environment that blends and recedes into the fabric of the historic si[...]
- Geyserville, California AIARE Architectural Design Awards, 2002 Merit Award Studies for this winery began in 1989. The first phase was a large Barrel Cellar addition, featuring insulated tilt-up concrete panels for the exterior walls and long-span steel "bents" for the roof structure. The T[...]
- Petaluma, California The City of Petaluma retained MAD architecture under the Downtown Façade Restoration Loan Program for multiple buildings to help revitalize the historic downtown. The first project was the restoration of a 1887 building front that had been remodeled in 1950 for JC Penney. The[...]
- Petaluma, California The challenge is to fit the minimum 100 units on site affordably, deal with parking in a flood zone, and create a mix of uses that are in demand now and can be modified as needs change. The solution includes finding the right combination of townhouses, flats, and live work un[...]
- Redwood Empire Medical Group, Santa Rosa, CA 6000 square foot imaging suite for Redwood Regional Medical Group in Santa Rosa including 2 MRI Exam Rooms - one designed for 3T MRI, a 32 slice CT Scan Exam Room, 4 ultrasound exam rooms, 2 Reading Rooms, 2 Dressing Areas, 2 Waiting Rooms. The prog[...]
- Petaluma, California Design for a 5,000 square foot dental building with four suites including orthodontics, periodontics and general dentistry.
- The Petaluma Arts Center opened to the public in August 2008. The location, at a historic train depot, brings new life to a building that has been vacant for decades. The facilities include two galleries, classrooms, and a resource center for all arts in the area. The public reception area is formed[...]
- Sonoma, California Our scope of work included the renovation and redesign of this historic winery. The process was started by a mandate from the City of Sonoma for a seismic upgrade for the original masonry building and came to encompass a redesign of the existing buildings and addition of new st[...]
- Petaluma, California The expansion to the existing square roofed form of the Petaluma Library posed a challenge: how does the new box fit in and add vibrancy? The design solution was to break out of the old box plane, create interest at the corners, quiet the wall fields and cut in light slices u[...]
- St. Helena, California "I no longer want to be the owner of the ugliest winery in Napa Valley," stated Thomas Leonardini. This was the refrain echoing in our heads as we set out to transform the 1970's structure. The project included the remodeling of a Tasting Room, Sales Room and Laboratory.[...]
- Northern California The goal for this site was to create a master plan for the remodeling of a large residence and compound into a multi-suite fishing lodge, the renovation of a historic limestone barn/winery, and the renovation of an adobe house into a museum and visitor center, as well as the d[...]